SOUTHEASTERN SAN DIEGO COVID-19 RAPID RESPONSE FUND
photos by Mike Norris
To provide some assistance with the unprecedented economic consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Jacobs Center for Neighborhood Innovation supported community-based nonprofit organizations through emergency grants with its Southeastern San Diego COVID-19 Rapid Response Fund.
This fund began with matching funds from the Jacobs Family Foundation and the San Diego COVID-19 Community Response Fund at The San Diego Foundation to support eligible organizations in San Diego’s Diamond District that were stepping up to support others during the pandemic, including those serving food and providing educational services, transportation, senior support, mental health services and other emergency needs.
Southeastern San Diego has been and continues to be deeply affected by COVID-19 on a variety of levels, hurting and limiting businesses, families, schools, charities, recreational programs and more. The fund has awarded emergency grants to 33 nonprofits that serve Southeastern San Diego residents. In total, over $107,000 in funds, including $10,000 in personal protective equipment, has been awarded to community-based organizations, and more than 10,000 members of the community have been served with this fund.
The Southeastern San Diego COVID-19 Rapid Response Fund was made possible with funds from the San Diego COVID-19 Community Response Fund at The San Diego Foundation, Weil Family Foundation, San Diego Gas & Electric, the San Diego Firefighters Association and generous donations from individuals.
Grant recipients include:
- Black American Political Association of California – San Diego
- Broadway Heights Community Council (BHCC)
- Building Skills Partnership
- C & C Mentor Protege Program
- Communities Advocating for Resident Empowerment (C.A.R.E.)
- Connecting Hope
- Diamond Business Association, Inc.
- Diamond Educational Excellence Partnership (DEEP)
- Elementary Institute of Science
- Extended Hands Worldwide Ministries
- Fourth District Seniors Resource Center (FDSRC)
- Gateway Christian Fellowship/Gateway Assembly of God San Diego, Inc.
- Heartbeat Music Academy
- Home Start, Inc.
- Hotel Vouchers 4 All – San Diego Youth Development Foundation
- House of Restoration Community Connection Inc.
- I Am My Brothers Keeper
- Kitchens for Good
- Mothers with a Message
- Muslim Community Services of San Diego
- Muslim Leadership Council of San Diego
- Open Heart Leaders
- Paving Great Futures
- Peace Resource Center of San Diego
- People’s Alliance for Justice
- Science Delivered
- Southeast Alano Club
- St. Rita’s School
- The Grandparents Connection
- Union of Pan Asian Communities (UPAC)
- We Are Our Ancestors’ Keepers
- Young and Prosperous Foundation