Who We Are
As a partner in community change, the Jacobs Center for Neighborhood Innovation (JCNI) is part of a caring community where people are responsible to each other, where all cultures are embraced, and where residents create the future they envision. With a mission of "Resident Ownership of Neighborhood Change," JCNI believes that for change to be sustainable, residents must own the vision, plans, and assets in their community.
Founded in 1995, JCNI is an operating nonprofit foundation that works in partnership with the Jacobs Family Foundation and residents of San Diego's Diamond Neighborhoods to build a stronger community through entrepreneurial projects, hands-on learning relationships, and the creative investment of resources. JCNI helps attract and leverage investment while working with residents to build the capacity of individuals, families, and their communities.
Values & Goals
Our work is rooted in the values of:
- Relationship – Working together in learning relationships that connect people.
- Respect – Valuing the gifts each person brings to a community and honoring the dignity and worth of all.
- Responsibility – Being responsible to, not for, people working on community change.
- Risk – Being innovative and daring in our approach thoughtful of the risk of failure.
Our goals are to unite residents, organizations, and funding partners to:
- Build the social well-being of the neighborhoods.
- Foster the creation of businesses, jobs, and community wealth.
- Support the enhancement of the physical environment through neighborhood-owned assets.
- Expand the avenues and opportunities for resident participation in the planning, decision-making, implementation, and ownership of community change.